Take Action to protect Virginia from the dangers of commercial gold-mining
You can help stop this year’s threat to the air, land, and drinking water of rural Buckingham and potentially millions of Commonwealth residents along the Virginia Gold-Pyrite Belt and downstream. Virginia’s weak regulations do not protect us. But thanks to community members and state allies, and especially Delegate Guzman, we got legislation through the General Assembly in March 2021 to conduct a statewide, comprehensive study about the impacts of gold mining. The final bill can be read here.
Thank YOU! For all your advocacy. Our actions are to continue to educate all Virginians about the dangers of allowing commercial gold/all metals mining into our state and asserting our right to clean water, air, land.
We have yard signs, bumper stickers and pins! Please email for your signs: firstname.lastname@example.org
Share this 4-minute video on social media and with your decision-makers:
Two Petitions For You To Sign!
October 9, 2021
#1 Buckingham County residents:
Please ADD YOUR SUPPORT to the Community Bill of Rights, a proposed ordinance that would protect the health, safety and general welfare of the residents and natural environment of Buckingham County:
- Claims our right and responsibility to make decisions locally
- Protects us from the toxic trespass of industrial metallic mining
- Prove It First! Show us another metallic mine that has caused no harm.
Please sign only if you are a Buckingham registered voter. To sign and share this petition please use this link: bit.ly/bhamord.
#2 All Virginia residents: please SIGN THIS PETITION to your state-wide elected officials: Protect Virginia’s Waters from metals mining.
- Pause permitting until the gold study is done and the state agency committee can form an opinion on the similar copper, lead, and zinc operations based on findings from the gold study. (See Statement of Task)
- Support a moratorium on metals mining
- Support frontline communities
To sign and share this petition please use this link: bit.ly/vametalsmining
Updates in Brief
November 2021: New Map – Thanks to Miller Cochran of Southern Environmental Law Center (SELC) for this Virginia Downstream Drinking Water Map (downstream from the gold pyrite belt, prime mining area east of the Appalachian Mountains). And check out their New Flyer: “Gold mines harm public health and the environment“.
October, 2021: Check out the latest video! Meet our neighbors in rural Buckingham, VA, USA, who are speaking out to protect our community and all those downstream and downwind from the lethal toxicity of a proposed industrial gold mine. 16 minutes
October, 2021: FoB is partnering with the Virginia Community Rights Network (VACRN) to gather support for a proposed commonsense local ordinance to protect Buckingham County from the harm we know that would come from metallic mining. See petition (above) and Communities page.
September 21, 2021: Aston Bay is expanding their exploration in Buckingham to 3 target sites and also in South Central Virginia (Pittsylvania, Campbell Counties). Watch the YouTube video (3:00 minutes)
- The Statement of Task: to study the impacts of gold mining on Virginia, as agreed upon August 6, 2021 by the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine (NAS) and the state Department of Mines, Minerals, and Energy (now the Department of Energy, or DOE).
- Informational flyers on gold mining
- 4 Maps of impacted communities: 1) DMME Virginia Gold Pyrite Belt & old mine sites (brownfields), 2) DMME, labeled counties, Gold Pyrite Belt & brownfields overlay, 3) VA Gold Pyrite Belt, NOVA insert 4) Warminster, Buckingham exploration sites.
- Map: of Buckingham County abandoned metals mines. Thanks to Daniel Schaffer of Allegheny-Blue Ridge Alliance (ABRA).
- Interactive map of gold drilling areas in Warminster area of Buckingham and communities impacted. Zoom out for existing brownfields in Buckingham County. More thanks to Dan Schaffer!
- Follow developments here and at FoB Face Book.
- Watch: Stop the gold mine in Virginia 11 minute video
- Watch: Mine waste dam failure videos (warning – scary, and real): 2019 Brumadinho, Brasil Dam Collapse 3 minutes and 20 minutes.
- Watch: Gold Prospecting in VA Educational Webinar 1/12/2021 One hour recording
- Watch: Delegate Elizabeth Guzman’s press conference with us Friday 1/29/2021.
Meet our neighbors in rural Buckingham, VA, USA, who are speaking out to protect our community and all those downstream and downwind from the lethal toxicity of a proposed industrial gold mine.
October 2021 16 minutes
January 12, 2021 One hour
How Virginia’s Gold Could Harm Your Community Gold mining webinar
Thursday March 18, 2021 One hour
The Dirty Truth About Gold Mining
This post has excellent coverage by 2 videos and Planning Commission report. A short video on the Colorado campaign to ban gold mining. And Mining 101 by Earthworks. Alexa Massey, for the Farmville Herald continues to do excellent reporting, making sense out of...
Tuesday, November 10 at 6 pm. Our County officials will be discussing changing an ordinance that would allow a Canadian gold mining company to drill in an A-1 agriculturally zoned part of the county. Only the first 20 people will be admitted to the auditorium. You can...
Flying to Haile Gold Mine April 04 2020, near Kershaw SC, and a little trip back in time along the way with Brian Pittman. Brian and family, fly directly over the 4,000+ acre gold mine, reaching it at about 5 minutes, but it can be seen from the distance once the...
I drove to Kershaw, South Carolina, on October 28, 2020, where the Haile Gold Mine is located, and spent three days there to find out how the gold mining industry had impacted the town. The mine, owned by the Australian company OceanaGold, had been in full operation...
Metal mining provides us with materials essential for modern life. But mining also devastates communities, clean water and the environment. Negative impacts of today’s metal mines Massive landslide at the Bingham Canyon mine in Utah. Photo: Deseret News. Destroyed...
The Farmville Herald, October 21, 2020 "Buckingham - There's gold in them thar hills" Good coverage! Read here. Check out Sean Tubb's podcast Charlottesville Community Engagement - October 13, 2020: Gold mining in Buckingham; Charlottesville gets a new fire chief;...
The Atlantic Coast Pipeline is dead. So what’s next for Buckingham County? Gold, apparently. This month, plans by a Canadian gold mining company to extract the valuable commodity from thousands of acres of land in Buckingham surfaced, setting off a wave of alarm in a...
Buckingham Gold Project, Aston Bay Fact Sheet Compiled by Friends of Buckingham Water Pollution Groundwater contamination is of particular concern where the groundwater feeds surface streams or lakes, or where the groundwater is directly a source of potable water for...
The Friends of Buckingham is calling on the county Board of Supervisors and the Planning Commission to delay voting on a zoning change that would allow a Canadian mining company to conduct exploratory drilling for gold deposits near the James River. The group is...
Friends of Buckingham is alerting you to an urgent joint meeting with the Buckingham County Board of Supervisors and the Planning Commission. The meeting will take place on Tuesday, October 13 at 6 pm. Our county officials will be discussing changing an ordinance that...