Take Action to protect Virginia from the dangers of commercial gold-mining
We have the right and the responsibility to protect the health, water, air and land of rural Buckingham and potentially millions of Commonwealth residents along the Virginia Gold-Pyrite Belt and downstream from the well known ravages of industrial gold mining.
Scroll to the Take Action box below to speak up at the local and state levels. Below are quick resources, updates and timelines. Search the blog history for in-depth information. Watch informative videos.
Thanks to community members and state allies, and especially Delegate Guzman, we got legislation through the General Assembly in March 2021 to conduct a statewide, comprehensive study about the impacts of gold mining and evaluate existing regulations. The final bill HB2213 can be read here. This resulted in state agencies hiring the National Academies of Sciences (NASEM) to do the study. NASEM is readying to make its report to the General Assembly by December 1, 2022. Please voice your concerns!
Thank YOU! For your advocacy.
We have yard signs, bumper stickers and pins! Please email for your signs: firstname.lastname@example.org
10 Major Concerns
2) Airborne toxins impacting the local area
3) Leaching of toxins into groundwater
4) Acid Mine Drainage
5) Catastrophic mine waste (tailings) dam failures
6) VA has no regulations on the use of cyanide
7) Forever toxic sites, leaving the forever burden to the taxpayers
8) Virginia’s rainfall is a huge problem – let alone the climate crisis with increasingly devastating storms
9) Local governments are enticed by tax revenue that will never cover the true costs
10) Negligible number of local jobs – most are specialized, imported from elsewhere
#1 Buckingham County residents and landowners: a PETITION for you to sign:
Please ADD YOUR SUPPORT to the Community Bill of Rights, a proposed common sense ordinance that would protect the health, safety and general welfare of the residents and natural environment of Buckingham County:
- Claims our right and responsibility to make decisions locally to protect our communities.
- Protects us from the toxic trespass of industrial metallic mining.
- Prove It First! Show us another metallic mine that has caused no harm.
Please sign and share this petition with othe Buckingham County residents. Please use this link: bit.ly/bhamord.
SPEAK UP! Your voice is needed! The ordinance has been presented to the Board of Supervisors. Tell them to adopt the rights-based ordinance! Second Mondays. 6 pm. Sign up to comment 5:30-5:55 pm.
#2 National Academies of Sciences gold mining study
The NASEM started writing their report for the next General Assembly in mid July. The deadline for comments is behind us. To find out more about their project click here.
#3 Virginia Energy (formerly DMME): State Agency gold mining study work group (impacted VA communities)
For upcoming meetings, to attend in person and to view past event recordings click here. The September 26 meeting recording is now available. The next meeting is Tuesday October 18, 9 am to Noon; in person or virtual. Location: Buckingham Community Center, 16268 N James Madison Highway, Dillwyn, VA 23936. Agenda TBA. “The main purpose of the meetings are to receive public comment from community members.”
SAC draft report: The state agency committee of the workgroup is currently drafting its companion document. To view the latest version, please click here. This document will be revised as sections are added and discussed at public meetings. To comment on the draft report, please click here or email email@example.com.
Updates/Timeline in Brief
Next Board of Supervisor meeting: Tuesday 10/11, 6 pm (due to Monday’s holiday). Sign up to comment 5:30-5:55. Adopt the rights-based ordinance Now!
Next State Agency Component (SAC) work group meeting: Tuesday, October 18 from 9 am – noon. See Take Action above for more info.
SAC draft report: The state agency committee of the workgroup is currently drafting its companion document. To view the latest version, please click here. This document will be revised as sections are added and discussed at public meetings. To comment on the draft report, please click here to post to the public Town Hall (preferred as this is shared with the public) or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Next Board of Supervisor meeting (second Mondays): 9/12, 6 pm. Sign up to comment 5:30-5:55. Adopt the rights-based ordinance Now!
Comment Writing Party (online): Tuesday 9/13, 6:30 pm. Register here. Public comments are being received by the State Study through September 30, and your voice is needed to say NO to large-scale gold mining in VA. Press Pause Coalition
Next State Agency work group meetings: Monday September 26 from 9 am – noon. Tuesday October 18 from 9 am – noon.
State Agency work group meeting Friday August 26, 9 am to Noon, at the Buckingham Community Center
Buckingham Music & Meeting: Saturday August 27, 2:45; Union Grove Baptist Church, 2522 Shelton Store Road. In support of the proposed rights-based Freedom from Toxic Trespass Ordinance. Preparation for September 12 Board of Supervisors meeting.
VACRN & FoB submit comments to NAS and VA Regulatory Town Hall. See article about partnership to advance rights-based ordinance to protect Buckingham from toxic trespass.
SELC and CBF statewide coalition sign on to letter to NASEM 7/7/22
For past timeline information, see this document.
- The Statement of Task: to study the impacts of gold mining on Virginia, as agreed upon August 6, 2021 by the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine (NASEM) and the state Department of Mines, Minerals, and Energy (now Viginia Energy).
- State Agency Statement of Task (SOT), posted 2/28/2022, for the State Agency Committee, including stakeholders. Posted on the Town Hall here.
- Watch: Our most recent video, of October 2021, Meet our neighbors in rural Buckingham, VA, USA, who are speaking out to protect our community and all those downstream and downwind from the lethal toxicity of a proposed industrial gold mine. 16 minutes
- Informational flyers on gold mining
- 4 Maps of impacted communities: 1) DMME Virginia Gold Pyrite Belt & old mine sites (brownfields), 2) DMME, labeled counties, Gold Pyrite Belt & brownfields overlay, 3) VA Gold Pyrite Belt, NOVA insert 4) Warminster, Buckingham exploration sites.
- Map: of Buckingham County abandoned metals mines. Thanks to Daniel Schaffer of Allegheny-Blue Ridge Alliance (ABRA).
- Interactive map of gold drilling areas in Warminster area of Buckingham and communities impacted. Zoom out for existing brownfields in Buckingham County. More thanks to Dan Schaffer!
- Map: Virginia Downstream Drinking Water Map (downstream from the gold pyrite belt, prime mining area east of the Appalachian Mountains). Thanks to Miller Cochran of Southern Environmental Law Center (SELC). And check out their flyer: “Gold mines harm public health and the environment“.
- Follow developments here and at FoB Face Book.
- Watch: Stop the gold mine in Virginia 11 minute video
- Watch: Mine waste dam failure videos (warning – scary, and real): 2019 Brumadinho, Brasil Dam Collapse 3 minutes and 20 minutes.
- Watch: Gold Prospecting in VA Educational Webinar 1/12/2021 One hour recording
- Watch: Delegate Elizabeth Guzman’s press conference with us Friday 1/29/2021.
Ben Price: Why adopt a rights-based ordinance to protect our freedom from toxic trespass?
1 hr, 32 mins.
Share this 4-minute video on social media and with your decision-makers.
January 12, 2021 One hour
Meet our neighbors in rural Buckingham, VA, USA, who are speaking out to protect our community and all those downstream and downwind from the lethal toxicity of a proposed industrial gold mine.
October 2021 16 minutes
How Virginia’s Gold Could Harm Your Community Gold mining webinar
Thursday March 18, 2021 One hour
The Dirty Truth About Gold Mining
Wow! Buckingham Board of Supervisors can do the right thing and protect the county from industrial gold mining! #Ourpointexactly So sayeth Joe Lerch, the director of local government policy for the Virginia Association of Counties at the meeting of the State Agency...
We continue to insist the Buckingham supervisors adopt the rights-based freedom from toxic trespass ordinance now! Don't rely on the state to ban new gold mining! Check out all the links below. Inform yourself and speak up to protect our water, air, land, our...
How do you effectively monitor a Virginia gold mining operation without necessary resources or staff? A question awaiting an answer in Buckingham and other localities. This problem is... part of the regulation and enforcement falls to local governments... without the...
Save the date! Be informed! The Virginia Department of Energy announced the next, and Fifth Meeting of State Agency Component of Work Group of the HB2213 Gold Mining Study. It will be: June 23, 2022, 9 am to Noon on line and at theBuckingham County Community...
National Academy of Sciences Listening Session on the potential impacts of industrial gold mining in VA
Last week, May 25, members of the NAS committee came to the Buckingham Community Center to hear our concerns about industrial gold mining. That information goes into their report to the General Assembly, due December 1 this year. Above, Claire Horan speaks for...
All Virginians: The National Academy of Sciences wants to hear your concerns about industrial gold mining
All Virginians! Please let the NAS hear your concerns about industrial gold mining! Please attend the listening session on Wednesday May 25, 7-9 pm. Click here for more information. You can attend in person in Dillwyn, Buckingham County at the Community Center,...
The State Agency gold mining study work group meeting on Monday May 16 caught the attention of Joe Dashiell, senior reporter for WDBJ7 TV out of Roanoke and Richmond. Joe managed to distill well the essentials of the advisements of speaker Steve Emerman. From the...
Buckingham County faces the prospect of a gold mine within its borders. Many of the county’s residents are opposed to it. If it is permitted, there will no doubt be other companies looking to mine elsewhere in Virginia. The state has enlisted the help of the National...
In 2021, global sales of electric vehicles more than doubled. This year, automakers are projected to make another huge gain, driven by soaring gas prices and new models with increased range. Getting away from gas-powered vehicles is essential to transition to a clean...
A Republican-dominated House subcommittee on Monday swiftly shot down a bipartisan proposal to study whether Virginia metal mining regulations are sufficient to protect state air and water quality. The bipartisan House Bill 250, from Del. Shelly Simonds, D-Newport...