Take Action to protect Virginia from the dangers of commercial gold-mining
You can help stop this year’s threat to the air, land, and drinking water of rural Buckingham and potentially millions of Commonwealth residents along the Virginia Gold-Pyrite Belt and downstream. Virginia’s weak regulations do not protect us. But thanks to community members and state allies, and especially Delegate Guzman, we got legislation through the General Assembly in March 2021 to conduct a statewide, comprehensive study about the impacts of gold mining. The final bill can be read here.
Thank YOU! For all your advocacy. Our actions are to continue to educate all Virginians about the dangers of allowing commercial gold/all metals mining into our state and asserting our right to clean water, air, land.
We have yard signs, bumper stickers and pins! Please email for your signs: email@example.com
Share this 4-minute video on social media and with your decision-makers:
Two Petitions For You To Sign!
#1 Buckingham County residents:
Please ADD YOUR SUPPORT to the Community Bill of Rights, a proposed common sense ordinance that would protect the health, safety and general welfare of the residents and natural environment of Buckingham County:
- Claims our right and responsibility to make decisions locally to protect our communities.
- Protects us from the toxic trespass of industrial metallic mining.
- Prove It First! Show us another metallic mine that has caused no harm.
Please sign and share this petition with othe Buckingham County residents. Please use this link: bit.ly/bhamord.
#2 All Virginia residents: please SIGN THIS PETITION to your state-wide elected officials: Protect Virginia’s Waters from metals mining.
- Pause permitting until the gold study is done and the state agency committee can form an opinion on the similar copper, lead, and zinc operations based on findings from the gold study. (See Statement of Task)
- Support a moratorium on metals mining
- Support frontline communities
Please sign and share this petition. Please use this link: bit.ly/vametalsmining
Updates in Brief
January 2022: NASEM Potential Impacts of Gold Mining in Virginia: Open Session 2, Wednesday 1/19, 2-5 PM See event page and view recording of webinar here.
December 2021: Press Pause Coalition Check out the new website for the statewide coalition of partners which officially formed in 2021 and seeks to implement a pause on permitting metals mining in Virginia. Join us!
November 2021: New Map – Thanks to Miller Cochran of Southern Environmental Law Center (SELC) for this Virginia Downstream Drinking Water Map (downstream from the gold pyrite belt, prime mining area east of the Appalachian Mountains). And check out their New Flyer: “Gold mines harm public health and the environment“.
October, 2021: FoB is partnering with the Virginia Community Rights Network (VACRN) to gather support for a proposed commonsense local ordinance to protect Buckingham County from the harm we know that would come from metallic mining. See petition (above) and Communities page.
September 21, 2021: Aston Bay is expanding their exploration in Buckingham to 3 target sites and also in South Central Virginia (Pittsylvania, Campbell Counties). Watch the YouTube video (3:00 minutes)
- The Statement of Task: to study the impacts of gold mining on Virginia, as agreed upon August 6, 2021 by the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine (NASEM) and the state Department of Mines, Minerals, and Energy (now Viginia Energy).
- Watch: Our most recent video, of October 2021, Meet our neighbors in rural Buckingham, VA, USA, who are speaking out to protect our community and all those downstream and downwind from the lethal toxicity of a proposed industrial gold mine. 16 minutes
- Informational flyers on gold mining
- 4 Maps of impacted communities: 1) DMME Virginia Gold Pyrite Belt & old mine sites (brownfields), 2) DMME, labeled counties, Gold Pyrite Belt & brownfields overlay, 3) VA Gold Pyrite Belt, NOVA insert 4) Warminster, Buckingham exploration sites.
- Map: of Buckingham County abandoned metals mines. Thanks to Daniel Schaffer of Allegheny-Blue Ridge Alliance (ABRA).
- Interactive map of gold drilling areas in Warminster area of Buckingham and communities impacted. Zoom out for existing brownfields in Buckingham County. More thanks to Dan Schaffer!
- Follow developments here and at FoB Face Book.
- Watch: Stop the gold mine in Virginia 11 minute video
- Watch: Mine waste dam failure videos (warning – scary, and real): 2019 Brumadinho, Brasil Dam Collapse 3 minutes and 20 minutes.
- Watch: Gold Prospecting in VA Educational Webinar 1/12/2021 One hour recording
- Watch: Delegate Elizabeth Guzman’s press conference with us Friday 1/29/2021.
Meet our neighbors in rural Buckingham, VA, USA, who are speaking out to protect our community and all those downstream and downwind from the lethal toxicity of a proposed industrial gold mine.
October 2021 16 minutes
January 12, 2021 One hour
How Virginia’s Gold Could Harm Your Community Gold mining webinar
Thursday March 18, 2021 One hour
The Dirty Truth About Gold Mining
A tiny Alaska town is split over a goldmine. At stake is a way of life In Haines, where the salmon once leaped under snow-capped mountains, a massive mining project promises well-paid jobs – and threatens a fragile ecosystem by Dominic Rushe in Haines, Alaska, for The...
MEDIA ADVISORY FOR December 13, 2021 Coalition to protect Virginia from metals mining to announce formation and initiation of scientific study New legislative efforts to support pause on permitting CONTACT Stephanie Rinaldi, Coalition Coordinator, Press Pause...
Click to read the full newsletter
The Virginia Department of Energy (formerly known as the Department of Mines, Minerals and Energy) announces the gold mining study work groups. December 10 is the deadline to submit your name for consideration to be on the Department of Energy's workgroup. The...
Clean Energy, Not Dirty Mining Earthworks supports the transition to a 100% renewable energy economy—one that no longer depends on fossil fuels—an essential shift, if we are to avert catastrophic climate change. Solar, wind power and battery technologies are...
A historically Black town stood in the way of a pipeline – so developers claimed it was mostly white
When residents in Union Hill, Virginia, decried the pipeline as a form of environmental racism, the energy company insisted it wasn’t As fracked gas fields in West Virginia boomed over the past decade, energy companies jumped at the chance to build massive new...
September 9, 2021 The Biden administration’s move to invoke its Clean Water Act authority marks a major blow for the project, which is near the world’s largest sockeye salmon run. The Environmental Protection Agency said Thursday that it would restore protections...
The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine will conduct an independent study of the health, safety and environmental impacts of gold mining in Virginia as part of a state review that lawmakers agreed to undertake in 2021.
Press Release: National Academies of Sciences to study impacts of potential industrial gold mining in Virginia
Buckingham, VA – Groups from around the state expressed optimism today that the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine (NAS) has agreed to study the potential impacts of industrial gold mining on water resources, public health, and the environment...
This article, published recently in Newsletter #132, is by Stephanie Rinaldi, directly impacted neighbor, FoB Gold Committee Co-Chair. In March, Governor Northam signed our bill (HB 2213) into law, and that law took effect July 1. Thank you to all those who...